Saturday, April 21, 2007

 

April 20, 2007 Southern New Hampshire

I've been getting kind of sentimental and nostalgic lately about Southern New Hampshire. This is due largely, I think, to the fact that this month marks 30 years living here. I moved here when I was 23. Now, I'm 53. As regular readers of this blog know, I've been spending a lot of time lately running around out in the woods. I've remained more connected to New Hampshire than I thought. I still love Vermont though. Anyway, on Friday I decided to drive up Federal Hill Road in Milford, and then hike up to the Lookout Tower that is up there. Bob Parker first brought me here years ago. You can go up in the tower, too! Here's a photo of the tower that I took:

Anyway, getting back to my point, from the top of this tower, you can see a 360 degree view all over central Southern New Hampshire - basically my stomping grounds for the past 30 years. You can see west out to the Monadnock region, and you can see to the southwest to Wachusett Mountain in Princeton, Ma. Actually, If you click on the photo below, and look real carefully along the horizon, you will see two things. The first from the left is a barely visible tower at the highest point on the horizon. That's Birch Hill in Hollis, NH. Along the horizon way over on the right is Wachusett Mountain. You can see the ski slopes along the northern face of the mountain. I was telling my Dad the other day that it's kind of cool because he can see the southern face of Wachusett Mountain from near Holy Cross College in Worcester. That's one thing that we both could be looking at, at the same time. The view from compoundville is best from just outside the Hart Center at the top of the H.C. Campus.
Here's the obligatory photo of the blogger himself. It was the first sunny warm day in a while around here. It was 68 Degrees F. when this picture was taken by the camera on a timer. I'm up in the Tower.
Speaking of Birch Hill in Hollis, last Saturday I was hiking over in that area and ..............well, you know when you're walking through the woods and you have to look down a lot, because you need to know what you're actually stepping on? Because it may look like a little twig or something, but it might be a snake? Sometimes, it is a snake. Case in point, this guy. I tried to play with him , but he couldn't hang out...he had his kid with him and he had to get going anyway. So, I continued up the hill.


Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?