Tuesday, January 23, 2007

 

January 23, 2007 Jean Houston 1928 - 2004

My Mom was born 79 years ago today. She died in 2004. Here's a picture of her with my Dad on the occasion of their 50th wedding anniversary on May 6, 2001

When my Mom died, my brothers and sisters and I prepared a eulogy which read, in part, as follows:

The greatest of the qualities that made Mom such a special person was an abundant and enduring love. It’s a love, as my brother Paul reminds us, that will last forever, through our love for our children, and their children, and so on.

One aspect of that love was her aura of acceptance. She automatically accepted any person that one of her children brought into her life – whether it be a spouse, a roommate, a friend, or a teammate.

She had an infinite capacity for love. Ma could make each of us feel that we were special. She had a way of giving and loving that said “you are wonderful, and exceptional, and I am so proud of you”.

Her love for our Dad was unwavering, and inspired us all.

My sister Kathleen felt Mom’s love as wind beneath her wings. My brother Rich described Mom’s love as limitless.


Here's the last photo of our family before Mom died. It was taken by Tracy on August 8, 2004, about 6 weeks before Ma died.



To even know my Mother, was to have your life made better. My siblings and I had the unbelievable blessing of receiving the greatest of all gifts, the unconditional love of Mom - and Dad.
Here's a photo dated 5-12-04 of Dad with Aunty Anna (middle) and my Mom (right):



Love is Mom’s legacy, a love that is still alive, embodied in my Dad, we children, grandchildren, the entire family and hundreds of others who have been touched directly or indirectly by her love.

Labels:


Comments:
Chuck - I really loved your tribute to Ma, even though it made me teary. Thanks. Love, Mary
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?