Wednesday, January 17, 2007

 

January 17, 2007 Ice, Ice Baby ! Hollis, NH 13 Degrees F.



After it started raining 2 days ago, it got really cold, and then the falling rain froze upon contact. They call it Freezing Rain. What a fantastic planet we live on! Every so often, everything just gets coated in ice for a little while. Everything IS definitely covered in Ice. Then, yesterday we got about 1" of light snow, so all of the ice is dusted white. Everything is really gorgeous; albeit covered in ice.


There are a lot of branches bent over all of the trails. I guess it's better to bend, than to break, right? We will take away from today's hike, the metaphorical value of that idea.

Click or maybe even Double-click on these photos to see the ice up close. It's really weird how well it's coated with ice.


Ah - a perfect day for a real acid test for these much-ballyhooed Imperial Walkers or whatever they're called - the Yaktrax Walkers (see my Dec. 31 blog for overview) . Bottom Line? They ruled. I stomped all through the woods, on trails and off. Never slipped once, even on hills. These things are SICK ! !
In the photo below that's my footprint on the right. The one on the left is somebody else. I just stamped my foot next to his footprint with the Yaktrax Walkers on , you can see the criss-cross pattern of the steel ribs that grab the ice and snow - click on the photo to enlarge.

This next photo I took in commemoration of Robert Frost, who I admire. Actually for two purposes - two Frostian themes at this intersection - "The Road Less Traveled" - I love these intersections - you can see i can bear left or bear right in this photo, it made me think of Frost's poem. Also, with all this ice, it reminded me of the disturbing poem, "Fire and Ice."
Some say the world will end in fire,
some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire, I hold with those who favor fire!
But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
to say that for destruction ice is also great,
and would suffice.


On the way home, I drove by this Apple Orchard on the Nashua/Hollis town line, right near my house.


Comments, anybody?

Labels:


Comments:
Looking at these pictures from rain-soaked Britain makes me what to move back to the US!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?